Skip to main content
My copy of FTM 2012 arrived yesterday. I got is all set up, and downloaded my tree from Ancestry. It does take a while. I have over 3000 people in my tree, a lot of pictures. The software downloads this AND most all of the media associated with the Ancestry sources....that's a LOT of census images! Very cool that they are now all downloaded to my computer! So far I have been very impressed. I worked on resolving name places (and making them all consistent). This has gone quite well, and the changes have been uploaded to Ancestry. Changes I have made in Ancestry have seamlessly made their way to FTM. The only other feature I have had time to try is the migration mapping. Very Nice! You can uses your facts which have location information to track your ancestors movement over time. Have an event you don't want to use? Simply de-select it. So my preliminary verdict is: two thumbs up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to get my new website up. Using an old version of Microsoft Expressions Web, I'm trying to use a template from Genealogy Web Creations and combine it with the results from family tree creation software called Gigatrees. Try it:  Seeber-Wright Family WARNING: A work in progress!

The Rearicks - Hans Conrad

The Rearicks The name Rearick is of German origin, and has been spelled many different ways in historical records. In the early years of America’s history names were often spelled phonetically, creating many variations in the spelling, especially with non-English language names. The most common spellings were Rarick (earlier generations) and Rearick (later generations), but other spellings include Roerich, Rorig, Rarich, and Rohric (among others). In spite of the variations in spelling, the Rearick line can be best described with one word:   PIONEER. Four generations of the Rearick clan struck out on their own, building new lives in previously unsettled lands. From New Jersey, to New York, to Kansas, they made their way to the current “frontier” of their generation, and built a new life from scratch. Hans Conrad (Conrad) Rarick 1723-1790 The patriarch of the family is Hans Conrad Rearick, also known as Conrad Rarick, Sr. (This monograph will use Hans Conrad to differentiate ...

Gigatrees - First impressions

 I just started playing with Gigatrees (v 5.4.2) by  Tim Forsythe . www.gigatrees.com To quote the Gigatrees website: "Gigatrees  was designed by and for genealogists to create feature-rich, easy-to-navigate family trees. However, it can also be used by non-genealogists to create responsive websites and blogs. Gigatrees is also  completely free . " I was looking for a program to publish my family tree (Pedigree, etc.) as a website. I had tried various programs, Roots Magic and others, and found the results to be limited and, frankly, a bit amateurish in appearance. I downloaded Gigatrees and have been please with the results. BUT NOTE, its not for the casual user with no experience with computers. More on that later. But first, below are some screen shots of the preliminary results after about a day of work: Home screen Home screen with sidebar expanded Pedigree (or "Tree" as it is called) People sheet (a lot not shown including a fan chart and timelines) Collection...